Close Search

News  |  Careers

Changemakers - Ebony Nardi

1 October 2012 at 10:17 am
Ebony Nardi is the Project Officer, Aboriginal Health at Diabetes WA. This week we profile Ebony in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Staff Reporter | 1 October 2012 at 10:17 am

Changemakers - Ebony Nardi
1 October 2012 at 10:17 am

Ebony Nardi is the Project Officer, Aboriginal Health at Diabetes WA. This week we profile Ebony in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Founded in 1965, Diabetes WA is the peak body and voice of diabetes in Western Australia. Its vision, Freedom from Diabetes, captures the focus of what the organisation does: minimise the impact of diabetes in Western Australia.

What are you currently working on in your organisation?

I have been working on developing a culturally appropriate storybook for young Aboriginal children. This book, Gary Goanna Goes Healthy, aims to encourage the uptake of healthy lifestyle behaviours in order to prevent type 2 diabetes. The storybook has incorporated artwork created by women from the Bandyup Women’s Prison and has involved a lot of input from Aboriginal community members from both remote and metro areas.

How long have you been working in the Not for Profit sector?

I have only been working in the NFP sector for seven months. After finishing university, I was successful in obtaining a six month graduate scholarship to work at Diabetes WA, and so far it has been a really great experience, especially working in the Aboriginal health sector!

What do you like best about working in your current organisation?

In my current position as Diabetes WA Project Officer, Aboriginal Health, I often have the opportunity to travel to many Aboriginal communities in Western Australia. I love being able to get out of the office and into the community where I can help to promote healthy lifestyles to prevent type 2 diabetes; a huge health factor within Aboriginal communities.

What are you reading/watching/listening to at the moment?

I always love listening to a bit of Angus & Julia Stone.

What (or who) inspires you?

Whilst in a remote town called Nullagine, I saw many young children with poor hygiene, lack of access to foods and out on their own at night with no one looking after them. From seeing the environment in which some children live, I was really inspired to work within their communities to somehow make their lives healthier and happier ones. My role at Diabetes WA enables me to do this and I have found it to be very rewarding.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.