Homelessness Services Achievement Awards
Wednesday, 10th October 2012 at 10:33 am
Australia's homelessness sector are to be recognised as part of World Homelessness Day. Photo: reallifeanswers.org
The achievements of Australia’s homelessness sector are to be recognised with the second National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards announced as part of World Homelessness Day.
“Both World Homeless Day and the Awards are an opportunity to raise awareness of the needs of homeless people, acknowledge the efforts of people working to support them and encourage others to help out,” the Minister for Housing and Homelessness Brendan O’Connor said.
“The National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards allow us to recognise this outstanding work, and give the broader community the chance to learn more about the great lengths our organisations go to in working to prevent and break the cycle of homelessness.
“They also raise awareness of the factors that contribute to homelessness.”
The inaugural awards last year attracted more than 130 nominations.
“The finalists showcased Australia’s high calibre responses to young people, Indigenous Australians, families and other groups at risk of homelessness.
“Importantly, they showed that a pathway out of homelessness is possible for people who receive the right support at the right time as a result of services, government, business and community all working together,” O’Connor said.
Nominations for the National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards close on Friday 18 January 2013.
The winners will be announced at an Awards event in 2013 in Parliament House, Canberra.
Community members are encouraged to nominate a high performing service they know in one of the seven categories:
- Excellence or innovation in addressing homelessness by an organisation
- Excellence in the prevention of, or early intervention in, homelessness
- Outstanding business or philanthropic commitment to addressing homelessness
- Excellence or innovation in partnerships in delivering services
- Excellence in addressing Indigenous homelessness
- Excellence in supporting pathways to employment or education
- Excellence in addressing homelessness in a regional, rural or remote location.
To nominate an organisation in the 2013 National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards click here.