Civil Voices
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Leadership

Call for Voluntary Community Groups Peak Body


Thursday, 22nd November 2012 at 1:02 pm
Staff Reporter
A campaign to set up a peak body for Australia’s voluntary community groups is being developed by the Centre for Civil Society.

Thursday, 22nd November 2012
at 1:02 pm
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Call for Voluntary Community Groups Peak Body
Thursday, 22nd November 2012 at 1:02 pm

A campaign to set up a peak body for Australia’s voluntary community groups is being developed by the Centre for Civil Society.

And a national workshop has been organised for February 2013 to establish an inaugural Leadership Council.

Vern Hughes from the Centre for Civil Society says Australia has 700,000 community organisations and Not for Profits. About 35,000 of these employ one or more staff, and many of these deliver community services for governments.

“The other 665,000 community organisations do not employ staff and rely on voluntary resources in serving their communities and generating social capital and belonging," Hughes said. 

“In neighbourhoods and communities, self-help activity and service to others, sporting activity and recreation, arts and culture, conservation and heritage, education and health care, faith and spirituality, these voluntary community groups constitute the social fabric of Australia."

He says that despite their pivotal role in social life, voluntary community groups lack a voice and are unrepresented in public decision-making.

“When governments consult with community organisations, they usually talk to the 5% with paid staff and service delivery contracts, and ignore the other 95%," he said. 

He says the Productivity Commission Report on the Contribution of the Not-For-Profit Sector in Australia in 2010 repeated the pattern of recognising only the 5% of Not for Profits that are run by paid staff to deliver government services.

“Following this report, the Commonwealth established a Not-For-Profit Sector Reform Council comprising organisations which deliver government services. It also established a National Compact with community organisations which deliver government services to facilitate better understanding with these groups, while ignoring the 95% of community organisations that serve other purposes,” he said.

Hughes says a national peak body of voluntary community organisations will redress this lack of voice and representation, and generate a visibility for voluntary community groups in public life that matches their social and community value.

“A national peak body of voluntary community organisations will be a lean instrument of voice, representation and leadership, not a provider of services or member benefits and will advocate for major regulatory reform to create a less burdensome operating environment for voluntary community organisations."

To register your interest in participating in the workshop, complete this online form.



FEATURED SUPPLIERS


Fantastic digital management app for organisations deliverin...

Ateesa

We specialise in data solutions consulting and IT profession...

DQUBE Solutions

Brennan IT helps not-for-profit (NFP) organisations drive gr...

Brennan IT

Yes we’re lawyers, but we do a lot more....

Moores

More Suppliers

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Predictions for 2018: Volunteering

Adrienne Picone

Monday, 5th February 2018 at 5:09 pm

Vote Yes for Volunteering

Gemma Rygate

Thursday, 18th January 2018 at 8:24 am

New Research Measures the Value of Volunteers for People With Disability

Wendy Williams

Tuesday, 9th January 2018 at 8:17 am

Practitioners Go the Extra Mile for a Good Cause

Contributor

Tuesday, 19th December 2017 at 8:13 am

POPULAR

Luke Batty Foundation to Close as Rosie Batty Steps Down

Luke Michael

Monday, 19th February 2018 at 5:37 pm

Calls to Remove ‘Blanket Religious Exemptions’ for Faith-Based Charities

Luke Michael

Friday, 16th February 2018 at 2:35 pm

Sharp Decline in People Accessing Disability Support Pension

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 21st February 2018 at 4:59 pm

Employee-Led Mutual to Deliver NDIS Services in SA

Luke Michael

Monday, 19th February 2018 at 10:54 am

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Civil Voices
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

The social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!