Close Search

News  |  Careers

Changemakers - James Wilson

21 January 2013 at 9:31 am
James Wilson is a centre coordinator at Youth off the Streets. This week we profile James in Changemakers - a weekly column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Staff Reporter | 21 January 2013 at 9:31 am

Changemakers - James Wilson
21 January 2013 at 9:31 am

James Wilson is a centre coordinator at Youth off the Streets. This week we profile James in Changemakers – a weekly column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Youth off the Streets is a New South Wales based Not for Profit that has been providing services to assist homeless and disadvantaged youth since 1991.

What are you currently working on in your organisation?

I manage the newly built Koch Centre for Youth in Macquarie Fields. The centre offers support for 12-18 year old young people who may be disengaged from their family, community or education. We engage our young people in a number of centre based activities, including cooking and life skills, sport, music and dance. We offer support for young mums and dads as well as work with other Not for Profits in our area.

What was your first job in the Not for Profit sector?

My first job in the Not for Profit sector was as a residential youth support worker. Living with and providing support for young people aged 12-18 years. It was a challenging job, working with broken young people who had been removed from their parents care. Our goal was to provide opportunity for change in their lives, to help our young people to think differently about themselves and those around them.

Favourite saying…

“A wise man learns from his own mistakes, a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.”

What are you reading/watching/listening to at the moment?

I’m currently reading “Don’t waste your life.” By John Piper. He writes about a full, purposeful, and passionate life. A life where the goal is not just to get to your retirement with some money to spend, but living a joyful life knowing that we have been created for a purpose.

My greatest challenge is…

Being a husband and father. It never seizes to amaze me that in my work life I can be switched on, patient, calm and at times have some insight into others lives. At home with my wife and children, it absolutely levels me and constantly reminds me that I’m not as good as I think I am.

What (or who) inspires you?

Running inspires me. Time alone to listen to your breathing and allowing yourself to slow down and get some perspective again about life.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Australian Scholarship Foundation