Top Tips for Workplace Giving
13 August 2013 at 11:55 am
A new report by Charities Aid Foundation: Optimising Workplace Giving Communications looks at how charities and companies could more effectively communicate the benefits of Workplace Giving to employees, and also how charities could more strongly connect with these high value donors.
CAF CEO Lisa Grinham said the report has played an important role in helping CAF develop a new online workplace giving platform to be launched later this year.
Grinham said the platform will make it easy for employees to make one-off or regular donations online; for charities to access state-of the-art communications and campaign management tools connecting them directly to donors; and for companies to take a more proactive role in promoting workplace giving to staff.
The report shares some top tips on building an effective workplace giving program.
Lead from the top
- Senior leadership buy-in is essential; it should be demonstrated clearly and must be genuine.
- Giving goals should be linked to KPIs.
- Promote to new staff at induction time; and follow up after first pay.
- Introduce an opt-out program for new employees.
- Introduce automatic annual donation increases, with an opt-out option.
Create emotional connections
- Make sure communications have an emotive hook.
- Use storytelling to engage.
- Communicate impact at an individual level.
- Personalise communications using messages from senior leaders and peers.
- Pair images and captions
Ask and ask for more
- Develop at least two stand alone and/or integrated campaigns annually with other community activities such as volunteering.
- Use several different communication channels.
- Ensure it is easy to sign up and make changes to donations.
- Ask donors to increase their donations at least annually.
- Consider making donation amounts known to staff.
- Promote Workplace Giving as the most impactful way to give to charities
Integrate with other community activities
- Offer one-off options, such as for disaster appeals or other special fundraising events.
- Promote sign up after volunteer experiences.
Incentivise employees to give
- Provide company matching of employee donations.
- Offer special one-off incentives such as bonus donations to charities.
- Set group and/or company-wide goals to achieve.
- Foster fun competition between staff.
- Offer small gifts to encourage employees to give.
Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) works with companies, government and charities to develop effective charitable giving strategies and manage donor funds, helping to transform lives and communities around the world.