Govt Announces Stopgap Arrangement for Homelessness
30 March 2014 at 1:12 pm
The Federal Government has announced stopgap arrangements for funding for service delivery under the National partnership agreement on homelessness for the next 12 months.
The eleventh hour agreement will result in $115 million to be shared by hundreds of national homelessness service organisations just as their funding was about to run out on June 30.
Federal Minister for Social Services Kevin Andrews said the funding National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness funding for another year.
"The National Agreement currently funds over 180 initiatives across Australia that helps those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness," he said.
Social service organisations warned earlier this month of the the potential shutdown of domestic violence services and other programs due to uncertainty surrounding the State and Federal Governments’ homelessness funding agreement which is due to run out at the end of June.
The Federal Minister said he would talk with state jurisdictions and services providers about future funding arrangements.