Criterion
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Communities

NFP Providers Chosen to Deliver Disability Services Under NDIS


Tuesday, 28th August 2018 at 5:17 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist
A group of not-for-profit providers have been selected to deliver disability accommodation and respite services currently operated by the Victorian government, as part of the transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme.


Tuesday, 28th August 2018
at 5:17 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
NFP Providers Chosen to Deliver Disability Services Under NDIS
Tuesday, 28th August 2018 at 5:17 pm

A group of not-for-profit providers have been selected to deliver disability accommodation and respite services currently operated by the Victorian government, as part of the transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

The five NFPs – House with No Steps, Life Without Barriers, Melba Support Services, Possability, and Scope – were chosen by the state government following an extensive consultation process featuring people with disability and their families, the workforce, and the disability sector.

On Tuesday, Victorian Disability Minister Martin Foley joined Special Minister of State Gavin Jennings to announce the transfer of services, which commences in February 2019.

The government said these providers had demonstrated “innovative approaches to service delivery”, and had proven track records delivering high-quality support.

Jennings said: “We want a fair, high quality NDIS – and we will work with the new providers to ensure this is delivered.

“These providers bring exceptional knowledge and experience to the table and we will continue to work together to ensure people with disability and their families are both listened to and advocated for.”

The transfer of services is also bolstered by a $26 million investment in the disability workforce from the government, and the implementation of a registration and accreditation scheme for providers.

And while staff will transition to the new providers by 2021, they will remain in their current roles, to help ensure continuity of care for people with disability.

Foley said the government had worked closely with the sector to provide this continuity of care.

“This is an important step in the transition to the NDIS and will provide better support and services for people with disability across Victoria,” Foley said.

Scope said they were honoured to be selected by the government to deliver disability support services to 226 houses and 12 respite centres across Victoria.

Scope CEO Dr Jennifer Fitzgerald, said the provider had been preparing and working closely with the Victorian government to transfer these services.

“Scope is honoured to work with the Victorian government on this shared vision to achieve the best possible outcomes for people with disability, their families and the staff who support them,” Fitzgerald said.

“We’re driven by our mission, so we’re excited by the opportunity to support even more people to live as empowered and equal citizens.”

Fitzgerald said Scope’s main priority was ensuring a seamless continuity of support for residents and their families, as well as staff.

“The first thing we’ll be doing is listening and learning from residents, their families and also staff, and their representatives, who are transferring – to ensure we understand their hopes, concerns and goals,” she said.

“We particularly recognise the existing work and quality of staff as well as their relationships with people they support, and will seek to harness these strengths.”

Andrew Richardson, the CEO of House with No Steps, said the organisation would draw on their experience of successfully transferring New South Wales government services in 2017.

“We are committed to ensuring people with disability are given the respect and opportunities they deserve. We feel very privileged to be able to support people with disability in more places and in new and better ways,” Richardson said.  


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Greens Call to Extend Royal Commission to Disability Sector

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 19th September 2018 at 4:35 pm

Disability Advocates Question Scope of Royal Commission

Luke Michael

Monday, 17th September 2018 at 4:15 pm

VR Helping People with Intellectual Disability Get Behind the Wheel

Maggie Coggan

Friday, 14th September 2018 at 5:14 pm

Virtual Reality to Revolutionise Training for Disability Support

Maggie Coggan

Wednesday, 5th September 2018 at 5:28 pm

POPULAR

$50 million Up For Grabs to Help NFPs Drive Change

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 17th September 2018 at 4:21 pm

Family Faces ‘Devastating’ Loss of Support for Son with Disability

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 11th September 2018 at 8:37 am

Australia’s Most Innovative NFPs Highlighted

Luke Michael

Thursday, 13th September 2018 at 8:41 am

Philanthropic Leader Calls to Overhaul Economic System

Maggie Coggan

Thursday, 13th September 2018 at 8:52 am

Criterion
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

The social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!