Equity
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Communities

Government Extends Controversial Cashless Welfare Card


Friday, 14th December 2018 at 5:22 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist
The federal government is extending the controversial cashless welfare card trial by 12 months and considering a fifth site, despite continuing criticism about the card’s effectiveness.


Friday, 14th December 2018
at 5:22 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist


2 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Government Extends Controversial Cashless Welfare Card
Friday, 14th December 2018 at 5:22 pm

The federal government is extending the controversial cashless welfare card trial by 12 months and considering a fifth site, despite continuing criticism about the card’s effectiveness.

Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher on Friday announced an extension of the card, and the government’s income management program across existing sites until 30 June 2020.

The federal government argued the card – which locks 80 per cent of welfare payments onto a debit card and cannot be used to withdraw cash or be spent on alcohol or gambling – has had a considerable positive impact on existing trial sites.

But critics believe the card has made people’s lives more difficult, and Greens Senator Rachel Siewert said she was gob smacked by the government’s decision to extend the trial and add a new site.

“The government is falsely claiming there is evidence that these trials are working, the evidence is not there, they are simply pursuing their ideological agenda,” Siewert said.

The cashless welfare card trial was originally expanded after an independent report from September 2017 concluded the card had reduced alcohol consumption, drug use and gambling in the trial communities of Kununurra in Western Australia and Ceduna in South Australia.

But an auditor-general report from July this year said the government’s approach to monitoring and evaluating the trial was inadequate, and argued the 2017 independent report did not use all relevant data available to measure the trial’s impact.  

Siewert and fellow Greens Senator Larissa Waters attended a community forum in Hervey Bay on Wednesday, ahead of the cashless welfare card’s rollout in the Bundaberg and Hervey Bay region next month.

“I was in Bundaberg and Hervey Bay earlier this week and the community is devastated by what this card will mean for them and their children,” Siewert said.

“This government has no understanding of what it is like to try and survive on an extremely low income, it is blinkered by ideology, this type of punitive approach needs to be abandoned.”

Julia Hocken is a co-organiser of Anti-Poverty Network QLD, and attended Wednesday’s community forum.

She told Pro Bono News community members felt the card was punishing people simply for being on welfare.

“They feel like this is a blanket punishment for people who have done nothing wrong and it makes them feel like criminals,” Hocken said.

She added the extension of the trial demonstrated the government’s ignorance on the issue.

“I think support is the best way to counter these issues rather than punishment, because you shouldn’t punish people for being mentally ill or poor, or suffering addiction,” she said.

She called on the government to scrap the trials and said her community group were currently pushing to raise Newstart by $390 a fortnight.

“That would put it above the poverty line so people can actually live, because it’s very hard to get a job when you can’t afford rent or to pay your bills or buy new clothes, so raising Newstart would be a wonderful start,” Hocken said.

This latest trial in Queensland will affect around 6,000 people under 36 on Newstart, Youth Allowance or the Parenting Payment.

Fletcher said he welcomed the extension of the trial for another year.

“This will give further certainty to communities about the [cashless welfare card] program that is yielding significant positive results,” Fletcher said.   


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

2 Comments

  • follower says:

    It may well have reduced alcohol consumption, drug use and gambling in the trial communities of Kununurra however check out the crime rate on home invasion and breakin’s

  • Punish people who abuse the system — don’t punish everyone with a stupid card! If this card was rolled out to people who had jobs there would be a national outrage! There might even be yellow vests protesters!

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Labor urged to broaden living wage policy

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 26th March 2019 at 5:13 pm

Government pledges to extend ‘racist and punitive’ cashless welfare card

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 26th March 2019 at 4:57 pm

Government pledges to remove young people from nursing homes

Luke Michael

Friday, 22nd March 2019 at 5:09 pm

Disability advocates gear up to fight for more than the NDIS

Maggie Coggan

Wednesday, 20th March 2019 at 5:32 pm

POPULAR

The ‘hidden gem’ of philanthropy

Wendy Williams

Tuesday, 19th March 2019 at 8:44 am

Advocacy groups struggle amid growing NDIS waiting lists

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 20th March 2019 at 11:46 am

Gen Y emerge as Australia’s most generous givers

Luke Michael

Thursday, 14th March 2019 at 9:00 am

Impact 25 Winners
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!