Community Sector Banking
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Social Affairs

Disability Groups Weary as DSP Appeals Skyrocket


Friday, 22nd February 2019 at 5:37 pm
Luke Michael
Disability advocates are deeply concerned by an almost 80 per cent increase in Disability Support Pension appeals, warning that vulnerable people are being incorrectly forced onto lower benefit payments.


Friday, 22nd February 2019
at 5:37 pm
Luke Michael


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Disability Groups Weary as DSP Appeals Skyrocket
Friday, 22nd February 2019 at 5:37 pm

Disability advocates are deeply concerned by an almost 80 per cent increase in Disability Support Pension appeals, warning that vulnerable people are being incorrectly forced onto lower benefit payments.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal officials revealed during Senate estimates this week that from July to December 2018, there had been 2,672 appeals lodged related to the DSP – a 77 per cent increase compared to the same period the previous year.

Senators heard there had been a 75 per cent increase in appeals relating to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, as well as a 41 per cent increase in Newstart appeals and a 34 per cent increase in Youth Allowance appeals.

Greens Senator Rachel Siewert said this spike in appeals was due to successive governments making it harder and harder for people to access social security payments such as the DSP.

“Given the on-line compliance program, the punitive approach to jobseekers and the demonisation of people on DSP, I’m not surprised there has been an increase in appeals,” Siewert said.

“The overhaul of the DSP eligibility criteria and new assessment process has meant that there is greater difficulty in accessing this payment.”

Tougher eligibility requirements introduced by the Gillard government in 2012 has led to a sharp decline in people accessing the DSP, with new DSP participants falling from a peak of almost 89,000 in 2009-10 to around 32,000 in 2016-17.

It was also disclosed during estimates this week that of the 104,000 DSP claims made in 2017-18, about 73,000 were unsuccessful – a rejection rate of 70 per cent.

Disability advocates have raised concerns that people with disability are being incorrectly forced onto lower benefit payments like Newstart.

A single person on Newstart receives $550 a fortnight compared with $916 a fortnight for a single person on the DSP.  

Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO) CEO Ross Joyce told Pro Bono News he had been worried for some time about what was happening with access to the DSP.

He said recent AFDO-commissioned research from Melbourne University showed the majority of AAT appeals ended with the applicant being awarded the DSP.

“That’s quite disturbing because that just means there has to be something wrong downstream regarding the whole application process,” Joyce said.

“We’re concerned about the changes made over the last few years and think it’s restricting people that are eligible for the DSP’s access to the payment.”

Joyce said there needed to be a more open and transparent application process.

“We want a reinstatement of some guidelines for medical practitioners, who need to provide relevant evidence. We want that rather than the current process, which requires the person with disability to seek and find their own medical evidence and present that as part of the process.

He also called for a review of AAT processes to find out why so many DSP cases were ending up there in the first place.

“We know from the research it can take six to eight months to get through the AAT process. In the meantime they might have been placed on an inappropriate benefit such as the Newstart Allowance which isn’t anywhere near what they’re entitled to,” he said.

This appeals spike follows the federal government revealing last October it was ditching plans to review the eligibility of 90,000 people on the DSP, after only a tiny fraction of recipients were found not to qualify for the payment.


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Australia set to face UN scrutiny over disability rights

Luke Michael

Friday, 17th May 2019 at 4:45 pm

Coalition missing as Labor and Greens champion charities

Wendy Williams

Tuesday, 14th May 2019 at 8:24 am

Labor vows to protect NDIS funds into the future

Luke Michael

Friday, 3rd May 2019 at 5:25 pm

POPULAR

Morrison vows to prioritise NDIS following election win

Luke Michael

Monday, 20th May 2019 at 4:05 pm

Guide dogs business venture set to shake up traditional charity model

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 13th May 2019 at 4:11 pm

Australia set to face UN scrutiny over disability rights

Luke Michael

Friday, 17th May 2019 at 4:45 pm

Good360
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!