Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Social AffairsDisability

NDIA passes 150 days without a permanent CEO


30 September 2019 at 4:22 pm
Luke Michael
Bill Shorten has slammed the Morrison government for failing to appoint a new National Disability Insurance Agency CEO, five months on from the sudden resignation of former boss Robert De Luca.


Luke Michael | 30 September 2019 at 4:22 pm


0 Comments


 Print
NDIA passes 150 days without a permanent CEO
30 September 2019 at 4:22 pm

Bill Shorten has slammed the Morrison government for failing to appoint a new National Disability Insurance Agency CEO, five months on from the sudden resignation of former boss Robert De Luca.

Last Friday marked 150 days since the NDIA had a permanent CEO, after De Luca quit to become the head of Zenitas Healthcare just weeks before the federal election.

Then social services minister Paul Fletcher said in April the search for a new government-appointed CEO would “commence immediately”, with Vicki Rundle acting as CEO in the meantime.

Shorten, Labor’s NDIS spokesperson, said the delay in appointing a new CEO showed that people with disability were being “treated with contempt” by the Morrison government.

“[The government] are presiding over an exodus of senior executives, endemic delays in the provision of goods and services and a head-less organisation,” Shorten said.

“Australians with disability deserve better than the neglect and abandonment this government is displaying towards them.”

Shorten previously expressed concerns about instability in the NDIA in July, after it emerged four senior staff had resigned within a week.

Rundle is one of nine people listed on the NDIS website as holding an “acting” position.

Pro Bono News asked the NDIA when the agency expects to have a new CEO in place by, but a spokesperson would only say the process for appointing a new CEO was “ongoing”.

The search for a new CEO comes amid recent revelations that the Morrison government spent $4.6 billion less on the NDIS than expected because of delays getting people into the program. 

This has left the federal budget on the brink of surplus for the first time since 2007-08.

The Australian also reported on Monday that the NDIA has overseen a three-fold spending increase on external contractors, recruiters and lawyers.


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×

We need your help.

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Pro Bono Australia has seen a devastating fall in advertising and less people posting on our job board, which is how we fund our free news service. You can show us that you value the work we do by making a contribution.

 Make a contribution 

You have Successfully Subscribed!