NSW to Hold First NDIS Trial
Thursday, 2nd August 2012 at 9:45 am
The NSW Hunter region will be the first site for a trial of National Disabilities Insurance Scheme (NDIS) after the Federal Government confirmed an agreement with the O’Farrell Government late yesterday.
The Federal Minister for Families and Community Services Jenny Macklin says the trial will start in the next financial year (2013-14).
“The Commonwealth will be putting $300 million into making sure that not only do we have individual support packages for people who have a disability in the Hunter but we'll also see the funding of local area coordinators and the Commonwealth will take responsibility for the establishment of the National Disability Insurance Scheme and the creation of the National Insurance Agency and other national infrastructure matters that need to be established,” she said.
“This is a significant step forward and it builds on the initiatives of the Prime Minister following COAG last week.
“This is very good news, especially for people with disability in the Hunter. It will mean that for around 10,000 people with significant and profound disabilities in the Hunter, for their carers and families that they can now be part of the launch of a National Disability Insurance Scheme.
“This of course adds to the agreement that we already have with South Australia, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory.
Under an NDIS, the Government says people with disability in the Hunter region will:
- be assessed to receive individualised care and support packages;
- have decision-making power about their care and support, including choice of service provider;
- be assisted by local coordinators to help manage and deliver their support; and
- access a system they can easily navigate and that will link them to mainstream and community services.
In Victoria, Premier Ted Ballieu has welcomed what he describes as the Prime Minister's positive response to the State’s detailed proposal for an NDIS trial in the Barwon Region.Either there are no banners, they are disabled or none qualified for this location!
In a late turn around, Victoria offered an additional $42 million over the period of an NDIS trial.
“This is more than the $40 million that the Prime Minister publicly proposed for a Victorian trial”, the Premier said.
Jenny Macklin said she is very optimistic that the Federal Government will also get agreement with Victoria where discussions are continuing.