From Dumping to Donations – Charity Store Trial
Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 at 1:44 pm
Charity stores across Victoria are set to get funding for new surveillance equipment, signage and fencing as part of the first phase of a $500,000 Victorian Government support package to help prevent illegal dumping of unusable goods.
It’s estimated that illegal dumping in Victoria cost charities $1.8 million last year, while nationally the figure is estimated to be $5 million per year.
The Minister for Environment and Climate Change Ryan Smith said the funding would help charities across Victoria address the problem head on, with feedback gathered over the next three months used to develop further long-term solutions.
Smith made the announcement while visiting the Salvos store in Kilsyth with local Member for Kilsyth David Hodgett.
“New funding will assist 38 Salvos and Vinnies stores in 14 metropolitan and regional local government areas to install a range of deterrence measures,” Smith said.
“Fences, cameras and surveillance systems, sensor lighting and a raft of signage, using deterrence and social marketing messages, will all be trialed and assessed.”
‘Control’ stores will also be used to benchmark against the Salvos and Vinnies outlets receiving equipment and signage.
“Too often old TVs, couches, mattresses and other unusable, unwanted goods are dumped outside or adjacent to charity stores,” Smith said.
“Many of these goods can’t be resold and must be sent to landfill, costing charities and the community money and time.”
The Government says insights gained from monitoring the effectiveness of different deterrence measures will be used in forming the next stage in the campaign targeting illegal dumping.
“The pilot campaign forms part of the Coalition Government’s comprehensive plan to help charities address the unfair burden of illegal dumping at their outlets, including landfill levy relief, education and deterrence,”