Take Survey
NEWS  |

Bonyhady Resigns from Philanthropy Australia

Thursday, 31st October 2013 at 12:28 pm
Staff Reporter, Journalist
The long-time President of the national peak body for philanthropy, Philanthropy Australia, Bruce Bonyhady has resigned and will step down from official duties from January 1, 2014.

Thursday, 31st October 2013
at 12:28 pm
Staff Reporter, Journalist

Bonyhady Resigns from Philanthropy Australia
Thursday, 31st October 2013 at 12:28 pm
Bruce Bonyhady.

The resignation comes four months after Bonyhady took on the role as inaugural Chairman of the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), which manages the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

“While I knew my workload would increase significantly, even though I had resigned as Chairman of Yooralla, my expectation and desire was to be able to combine my new role as Chairman of the NDIA with being President of Philanthropy Australia,” Bonyhady explained in a letter to Philanthropy Australia members.

“Now, after four months of trying to juggle these roles, it is very clear that I cannot give the necessary time and energy to both organisations.

“As many of you know I have both campaigned for the National Disability Insurance Scheme and contributed to its design. Now, the responsibility of contributing to its good governance and implementation must take priority, as the Scheme has the potential to transform the lives of hundreds of thousands of people with disability, their families and carers.

“I am also conscious that I have been President of Philanthropy Australia for seven years. It is therefore time for someone else to lead Philanthropy Australia, which I am leaving in the very capable and committed hands of the Council and Louise Walsh and her management team.

“Given the demands on my time, Deputy President Dure Dara will step up into higher duties immediately, as Acting President, until Council has determined my successor.

“I have also recommended to Council that it should adopt a best practice process to find my successor. As a result, Council Member, Tim Fairfax, who has indicated that he will not be a candidate to succeed me, has agreed to lead a Council working group to search for, and secure my successor.”

In June 2010 Bruce Bonyhady was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for his service to people with disabilities, their families and carers, particularly as Chairman of Yooralla, and to the community as a contributor to a range of charitable organisations.

Staff Reporter  |  Journalist  |  @ProBonoNews