CSB
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Politics

Feds Urge Homelessness Agreement Sign On


Tuesday, 8th July 2014 at 12:09 pm
Lina Caneva, Editor
The Federal Government is urging South Australia and Tasmania to sign the 2014-15 National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness (NPAH).

Tuesday, 8th July 2014
at 12:09 pm
Lina Caneva, Editor


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Feds Urge Homelessness Agreement Sign On
Tuesday, 8th July 2014 at 12:09 pm

The Federal Government is urging South Australia and Tasmania to sign the 2014-15 National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness (NPAH).

Minister for Social Services Kevin Andrews said that only South Australia and Tasmania were yet to sign the 2014-15 Agreement that provides up to $115 million in Federal funding for homelessness initiatives.

Andrews said the signatory states were New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Western Australia along with the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory.

“The NPAH will ensure homelessness programs can continue for at least another year including many focused on women and children experiencing domestic and family violence,” he said.

“Negotiations with South Australia and Tasmania are ongoing and I remain hopeful these two states will sign up in the near future.

“The previous Labor government failed to make any provision for Commonwealth homelessness funding after 30 June 2014, creating significant uncertainty for the sector and providers.

“This one-year extension of the NPAH will enable the Government to re-assess Commonwealth housing and homelessness policy with the object of doing things more efficiently.

“Over the coming year, we will look at what improvements can be made to achieve lasting reductions in the number of homeless Australians,” Andrews said.

In June the Victorian Premier Denis Napthine said the Homelessness Agreement had been officially signed off by both the Commonwealth and the Victorian Governments.

“Prime Minister Tony Abbott has confirmed the Commonwealth’s support and committed $22.8 million to Victoria, to assist in maintaining the current level of service delivery funding for those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness,” Dr Napthine said.

“The Commonwealth has signed on for a further year and indicated it will work with the states on future funding arrangements and provide a longer term solution for homelessness services.”

The Victorian Coalition Government announced funding of $124.4 million over four years in the 2014-15 State Budget.


Lina Caneva  |  Editor  |  @ProBonoNews

Lina Caneva has been a journalist for more than 35 years, and Editor of Pro Bono Australia News since it was founded in 2000.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au


YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Are You Outcomes Ready For 2018/2019?

Jenny Riley

Monday, 19th March 2018 at 5:21 pm

Victoria and NSW Commit to Child Sexual Abuse Redress Scheme

Luke Michael

Friday, 9th March 2018 at 4:39 pm

Charities Fear Funding Cuts Will Follow SA Election

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 7th March 2018 at 5:20 pm

POPULAR

Animal Shelter Loses Charity Status

Wendy Williams

Wednesday, 11th April 2018 at 5:20 pm

NFP Real Estate Agency to Drive Sydney’s Affordable Housing Supply

Wendy Williams

Wednesday, 11th April 2018 at 5:34 pm

NDIS Urged to Implement Portable Training System for Workers

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 17th April 2018 at 8:31 am

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Salary Survey 2018
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

The social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!