Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  PolicyWelfare

Government shakes up process to get off the cashless welfare card


1 August 2019 at 4:47 pm
Luke Michael
The Morrison government is streamlining the exit process for people on the cashless welfare card, but critics say the new criteria are still “patronising and onerous”.


Luke Michael | 1 August 2019 at 4:47 pm


2 Comments


 Print
Government shakes up process to get off the cashless welfare card
1 August 2019 at 4:47 pm

The Morrison government is streamlining the exit process for people on the cashless welfare card, but critics say the new criteria are still “patronising and onerous”.

Under legislation passed by the Senate on Thursday, the Department of Social Services secretary will decide on applications to exit the card, rather than unelected community bodies currently running the process.

The bill also broadens the criteria for why people can get off the card, with DSS able to consider the welfare of children, families and the whole community when assessing exit applications.

Liberal MP Nola Marino told Parliament these changes would ensure the exit process was consistent across all regions using the card.

“The government is introducing this legislation following consultations with community leaders to ensure there is a clear and fair process for participants to exit the cashless debit card program,” Marino said.

The Senate this week heard that 1,054 people have already enquired about coming off the card in the past month – equal to around one in 12 participants.    

Greens Senator Rachel Siewert said with many people’s applications stuck in limbo, it was critical a workable exit process was up and running as soon as possible.

But she said the changes would still prove burdensome for card participants.

“The exit provisions require trial participants to provide evidence that goes above and beyond the objectives of the trial,” Siewert said.

“The fact is people shouldn’t be in this position and they shouldn’t have to go through this onerous and patronising process, just because they are on income support.”

The cashless welfare card – which locks 80 per cent of welfare payments onto a debit card and cannot be used to withdraw cash or be spent on alcohol or gambling – has been trialled in East Kimberley and Ceduna since 2016, and the Goldfields region since March last year.

It was also introduced in Queensland’s Hervey Bay-Bundaberg region earlier this year. 

The trial has been criticised by welfare advocates for being punitive and discriminatory against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

The government has consistently defended the trial, pointing to an independent report from 2017 that concluded that the card had reduced alcohol consumption, drug use and gambling in trial communities.

But a subsequent auditor-general report said the government’s approach to monitoring and evaluating the trial was inadequate, and argued the 2017 independent report did not use all relevant data available to measure the trial’s impact. 

Siewert renewed her calls for the card to be scrapped, arguing it restricts human rights and unfairly targets people on welfare.

Labor has concerns with the trial but supported the government’s reforms. 

Opposition social services spokesperson Linda Burney said the bill would ultimately help participants who are managing their life well and want to get off the card.

“We understand that hundreds of people are seeking an exemption from the trial and have already approached DSS about the opt-out process,” Burney said.

“This shows there is strong community support for people being able to get off the cashless debit card.” 


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Advertisement

Virtual Congress - CPA Australia

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

2 comments

  • Avatar jcongues@familycare.net.au says:

    Thanks for keeping this topic in the news Luke. It would be great to see something like the cashless debit card being an opt-in option because it was such a good program for supporting people in welfare. It would great to see people receiving welfare treated with dignity by our government.

  • Avatar Wayne Smith says:

    I don’t smoke, drink or gamble but if I was unemployed I would have immediately moved outside of the Bundaberg and Hervey Bay area on principle. Maybe some of the dole recipients there felt the same way and relocated themselves outside of the experimental test area so they wouldn’t get monopoly money and that is why unemployment there fell 5%.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

COVID-19 creates new barriers for disadvantaged jobseekers

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 14th October 2020 at 8:00 am

Close to 150,000 jobs at risk due to welfare cuts

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 15th September 2020 at 5:02 pm

JobSeeker recipients fear push back under poverty line

Maggie Coggan

Friday, 11th September 2020 at 4:51 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×